Friday, April 22, 2011

Black Holo Comparison

I got more nail wheels in the mail yesterday so I decided to dig out all my black holos and do a little comparison.

From L to R we have Bloom London, Glitter Gal (Sparkle) Black, BK 02, Catherine Arley 805 and Economy Class (my MPJ franken)

I made the franken about a year ago and sent some over to a friend with the original charcoal MPJ and she confirmed they were dupes in terms of colour and holoness except mine was a little more opaque. I've since added just a touch of clear to get an exact dupe.

Also, I decided not to include ChG Let's Do It In 3-D, CC Revvvolution etc because I felt they weren't dark enough to be considered black.

Anyway, enough jabbering from me...

I've kept the pics extra large so click for a lot more detail. This is 2 coats of each except for the MPJ franken which is 3 coats.

You can see here that the first two, Bloom London and Glitter Gal Black are scattered holos while the other three are linear.

Closeups...
Again, you can click to make them much bigger.

At first I thought these two were dupes. But as you can see, the Glitter Gal is clearly more holo- the particles in it seem to reflect a more distinct rainbow than the Bloom which is really, really weak.



Out of these three, the least holo was Catherine Arley 805. The holo effect in this one seemed a little less pronounced and it mostly reflected red/orange/yellow instead of the full rainbow.
The other two (BK 02 and my MPJ franken) are very similar except the BK is almost opaque in one coat while my MPJ franken requires at least three. Also, the base colour of the BK is very obviously black while the franken leans charcoal.


After I did this comparison I decided to do my nails in BK 02.


Can you see a corner of my middle nail broke off? It's too low down to make all my nails that length :( Oh well, what can you do.

Hope you enjoyed!

14 comments:

  1. I want BK02...take me to Shanghai!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! We shall all hop into my Invisible Plane and fly over to Shanghai for the nail polish and make it back in time for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful comparison--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! I'm glad it was helpful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comps...your frankening rules! :) b

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, love the name of your franken! I think it's the nicest out of all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your franken wins by far (and I love the name too!), but now I feel like I need all Glitter Gal holos. I have Deep Green and it's in my Top 20.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't resist the name. It was so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Watch out! A lot of the Glitter Gals are dupe-y to Ozotic colours (which are much bigger and *much* cheaper). I suspect they are private labels...
    I haven't found a dupe to Deep Green though.. that one is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these are all gorgeous, especially the BK one and your franken! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohmygoodness, I just discovered your blog! Fabulousssss =) If I may ask, where in Shanghai did you find those gorgeous BK polishes?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Want! What is your recipe for Economy Class? (LOL @ the name, too cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohh my i also want to go to shanghai.. i hope the BK distributor here in the Philippines would import this BK holo polish...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out to comment ♥